Your husband enjoys the outdoors…
Not sure what to get him though, since the outdoors is really not your thing. Don’t worry, we put together a nice shortlist of 5 great gift ideas for your outdoorsman husband that will not disappoint.
Our criteria was simple, the five items we chose had to be useful, compact, durable and affordable. With that in mind, we set out to find the perfect gifts that your husband will enjoy for years to come.
Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium Power Station
If you are planning to stay in the outdoors for any considerable amount of time, you are going to need some power to recharge devices. Considering that nobody expects to encounter an emergency situation, it gives you peace of mind to know you can plug in and recharge your phone, flashlight or GPS locator to help you in a tight spot.
Goal Zero is an incredible company who is producing solar-powered devices and portable energy devices that can be recharged with solar panels. Imagine you are camping, you pull out a small cube that can recharge your phone, laptop, light and several other devices with USB as well as standard plug ports.
The Goal Zero Yeti 400 is not the largest or smallest, but just the right size to carry and pack away for that quick camping trip. The Yeti 400 can conveniently recharge several devices many times over and is compact enough to fit in small spaces for storage or travel.
Recharging the Yeti 400 is pretty straight forward, you can plug it into the wall in your home before you leave to get a full charge. Afterward, you can use the Goal Zero Solar Panel kit to harness the sun’s energy to recharge your Yeti. Simple, small and effective, the GoalZero Yeti 400 will quickly become the centerpiece to all travel plans.
- 428Wh lithium portable power station can power up to 7 devices at once (39,600mAh at 10.8V/119,000 at 3.6V)
- Continuous 300W, 1200W surge pure-sine wave inverter, 2.4A USB ports, 120W 12V ports
- Charge phones, tablets, laptops, cameras, and most small devices. Provides power for small appliances, lights, CPAPs and more
- Recharges from AC or pair with a solar panel (sold separately)
- Designed and engineered by power station experts with a US-based customer service center
Below are recommended accessories to purchase along with the Yeti 400. The Goal Zero Solar Panel will draw energy from the sun to recharge your Yeti, you can choose to use a larger Solar Panel or link Solar Panels to increase the energy received from the sun and reduce your recharging time.
- Portable 50-watt monocrystalline solar panel
- Anodized aluminum frame and tempered glass covering make it weatherproof and lightweight
- Chainable with other Boulder solar panels
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty
The Goal Zero Extension Cable is to help give you the distance you need to properly set up your Solar Panel for maximum sun coverage. Designed to be used with your Yeti, it can easily plugin to the solar panel to quickly get you up and recharged. This extension cable can also be used to connect Goal Zero solar panels together, creating a larger solar array, increasing the amount of energy you can draw from the sun.
- Cord length 30ft
- Input: 8mm
- Output: 8mm
- Gauge: 16
- Product SKU: 98066
LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle
Thirsty? Not a problem, with the LifeStraw Go bottle, you can fill the bottle with stream water and the amazing LifeStraw filter will remove contaminants, bacteria and other nasties that would otherwise get you sick. As seen in the picture below, you or your husband can literally dip and fill a water bottle directly from a fresh water source, screw the top back on and drink.
The time of boiling water to safely drink is gone, now the only time you will need to boil water is if you want coffee or tea. An amazing amount of science has gone into the LifeStraw Go filters. Originally designed to solve global safe drinking water issues, the company that invented the LifeStraw is making its science available for everyday use.
Your body can go without food for a while, but only 3 days without water. That’s what makes the LifeStraw Go water bottle an essential part of the outdoorsman travel pack. It’s lightweight, durable and conveniently locks on using a carabiner to your backpack.
Just in case you are wondering, yes you can replace your everyday water bottle and use the LifeStraw Go water bottle to safely fill up at airports, parks, public schools, and even a neighbors garden hose if you had to.
- Reusable LifeStraw Go BPA-free water bottle filters water while drinking; great for travel, backpacking, camping, and emergency kits
- Award-winning LifeStraw hollow fiber membrane water filter removes bacteria and protozoa from lakes, streams to ensure safe, clean drinking water
- 2-stage activated carbon filter reduces odor, chlorine and leaves zero aftertaste
- Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, and 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites without chemicals, iodine or batteries
- Durable, 23-ounce, leak-proof bottle made of BPA-free Tritan and features a food-grade silicone mouthpiece; replacement filters available separately
Garmin inReach Mini Satellite Communicator
Lost is no longer a worry, help is within reach when you pack a Garmin inReach Mini Satellite Communicator. The Garmin inReach Mini enables you to send and receive text messages, track and share your journey and, if necessary, trigger an SOS alert to contact the GEOS 24/7 emergency response team.
Lightweight and tiny enough to fit in the palm of your hand, it’s a satellite-powered communicator for adventures where size and weight matter. You don’t have to worry about being within range of a cell tower or encountering spotty coverage. The inReach Mini connects for messaging via the global Iridium satellite network.
If you should find yourself in a situation where you do need immediate or emergency assistance, you have the GEOS emergency response team waiting 24/7 to receive your SOS distress signal and send help immediately. Once you’ve triggered a distress signal, you can expect a delivery confirmation that help is on the way and be continually updated on the status of your response team.
- Small, rugged, lightweight satellite communicator enables two way text messaging using the 100 percentage global Iridium network (satellite subscription required)
- Trigger an interactive SOS to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center (satellite subscription required)
- Access downloadable maps, U.S. NOAA charts, color aerial imagery and more by using the free Garmin Earthmate app and compatible devices
- Optional inReach weather forecast service provides detailed updates directly to your inReach Mini or paired device; basic and premium weather packages available
- Send and receive inReach messages through compatible Garmin devices, including connected wearables and handhelds.Display resolution:128 x 128 pixels
Goal Zero Torch
Never be left in the dark again, the GoalZero torch comes with built-in solar panel recharger, hand crank for manual recharging and a USB port to recharge via an external battery like a Yeti 400. Compact yet powerful enough to provide light to illuminate even the darkest of camping spots.
Lot’s of great thinking and engineering went into the design of the Goal Zero Torch. Here is a quick list of some amazing features that come built-in to this compact powered LED light:
- Works as a flashlight, floodlight or emergency red light
- Has a built-in solar panel, leave it in the sun for recharging
- Hand crank gives 2 minutes of light per 1 minute of cranking
- 1 AMP USB port that can recharge your smart devices
- 4,400 mAh Lithium-ion battery, up to 48 hours of light
- Power save using Half Bright mode
Amazing torch designed for the outdoorsman who needs a multi-purpose light that is both rugged to handle the elements and useful. One thing is for certain, a lot of thinking went into the design of the Goal Zero Torch, this is not some ordinary flashlight. Any avid hiker or camper would be proud to pack a Goal Zero Torch knowing they are maximizing their use of space and equipment.
- Built-in solar panel, USB charging cable, and hand-crank for light anywhere
- Multiple light options that allow to use as a 250 total lumen output flashlight, floodlight or red emergency light
- Save on power with bright and half-bright modes
- Long-lasting, advanced lithium 4400mAh battery and integrated USB port charges phones and boosts tablets to stay connected
- Run Time: 7 - 48 Hours
G-SHOCK Solar Powered Multi-Band Atomic Time Watch
Maximizing time is what the G-SHOCK Solar Powered watch is all about. It combines a solar recharging system, atomic time, compass, calendar, alarm and it’s about as tuff as a watch you will ever come across.
As the day progresses, the G-SHOCK watch recharges using the power of the sun. The internal battery is designed to run the watch like all other watches, but instead of it going dead like any other watch, it recharges throughout the day, providing dependable time when you need it most.
The Atomic Time synchronization is powered by a radio signal that guarantees accurate time. No more wondering what time it is when you cross time-zones or visit new cities. Working off of frequencies, this G-SHOCK watch will always display accurate time.
North, South, East or West, the built-in compass will guide you where you need to go dependably. Reducing the amount of equipment required is always the goal of every outdoorsman. The G-SHOCK watch includes a reliable compass that will be clearly visible on your wrist. No more digging around in the pack or broken compasses, the G-SHOCK has got you covered.
- Solar-powered sport watch featuring atomic time keeping, world time in 48 cities, and EL backlight
- Features 1/100-second stopwatch, daily alarm with snooze, 12- and 24-hour formats, tide/moon graph, 31 time zones, and day/date/month calendars
- 50 mm resin case with mineral dial window
- Japanese quartz movement with digital display
- Resin band with buckle closure
Frequently Asked Questions
A smartphone rated at 5 to 7-watt hours can be recharged roughly 30+ times based on the data provided by Goal Zero.
Goal Zero has tested several devices, you can recharge Head Lamps, Smart Phones, GoPro Cameras, Digital Cameras, Tablets, and even Laptop computers.
Depending on the size of the solar panels used and the amount of sun available, the Yeti 400 can recharge in about 8 to 16 hours. You can simultaneously recharge your devices while the Yeti 400 is being recharged by the solar panels.
A two-stage filter removes some really bad stuff. The first stage removes bacteria like E.Coli and parasites like Giardia from the water and usually filters up to 4,000 liters. The second stage removes chlorine, organic and chemical matter and filters up to 100 liters.
Yes, LifeStraw enables you to drink safely from water fountains at parks, airports, at school or tap water. You can replace your existing daily water bottle with a LifeStraw Go bottle.
The inReach Mini measures in at just under 4” tall by 2” wide and weighing a mere 4.23 oz.
Depending on use and configuration, the inReach Mini comes with a rechargeable lithium battery designed to last up to 50 hours. You can recharge via the micro-USB power cable or optional in-vehicle 12-V charger.
The Goal Zero Torch is water-resistant, the company has made no indication that it is waterproof.
The Goal Zero Torch has a 4,400 mAh battery that is designed to last anywhere between 7 to 48 hours based on its use and settings. The Goal Zero Torch has a half-bright feature that enables you to conserve energy and possibly pro-long the amount of lit time per charge.
The G-SHOCK watch is water-resistant up to 200 m or approximately 660 ft. Suitable for professional marine activity and serious surface water sports, but not scuba diving.
Watches that use Atomic Time receive radio signals from an atomic clock to set the time correctly. No intervention is required by the person wearing the watch, it all happens automatically.