It’s springtime and your lawn needs care…
Time to do the seasonal care your lawn requires in spring before the hot summer is upon us. Lawncare work requires tools to keep your green patch of paradise in tip-top shape. So we put together a list of essential tools for you to help do all the work. Your husband needs all the help he can get, after all, it’s not about working hard, but working smarter. Technology has introduced a lot of great new tools for lawn care and we hope to help you enjoy a great spring and summer on your lawn.
|Thatch Rake||Coring Aerator||Pre-Spring Fertilizer||Seed Spreader||Automatic Timer|
|Step 1: Clean Up||Step 2: Prepare Soil||Step 3: Weed & Feed||Step 4: Sow Seeds||Step 5: Automate!|
|Essential to remove all dead grass and debris that collects near the soil.||Create air flow and nutrient deposit pockets to help new grass take root.||After winter, your lawn needs food to fuel growth in the spring, always fertilize.||Evenly spread new seed and fertilizer to for a nice consistent green lawn.||Never miss a watering day again, plus automatically conserve water.|
|Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon|
Step 1: Clean Up with a Thatch Rake
Unlike the regular rake that you can use to clean up leaves and other trash that lands on top of your lawn, a thatch rake goes deeper. Like a deep cleaning at the dentist’s office, a thatch rake cleans out the junk that accumulates beneath the top layer of grass. Dead grass, rotting debris and old dead roots that keep nutrients from reaching your lawn. A thatch rake is specifically designed to reach deep down and cut through dead grass and pull to the surface all the debris that can strangle your new lawn growth.
- Adjustable: Equipped with a 15-inch wide self-cleaning rake head, it will give your lawn a deep cleaning!
- Comfortable: A 10-inch comfort grip adds stability and ease to lawn work, put an end to hand blisters.
- Strong: The 54-inch handle is made of very strong and durable hardwood, ready for tuff lawns.
A thatch rake is very different than your regular lawn rake, if you don’t have one, it will make a world of difference with your seasonal lawn care. Removing all the dead grass and debris is essential for a long term healthy lawn. Of course with the right tools, the job gets infinitely easier. Get a thatch rake and enjoy the results!
- 15-Inch self-cleaning rake head
- Curved tines are designed to clear dead grass clippings
- 10-Inch end grip adds comfort and control
- Hardwood handle for strength and durability
Step 2: Prepare Soil with Lawn Aeration
Lawn aeration is critical to a healthy lawn. By aerating your lawn, you provide pockets for nutrients from fertilizers and soften the soil to allow for new grass to take root. Over time and in the winter rainy season, soil can become compact almost rock hard. New seeds can find it difficult to take root and although you are fertilizing your lawn, new seeds can find it hard to take root. For smaller lawns, a manual lawn aerator works perfectly to loosen up the soil and provide pockets for fertilizer to feed your lawn through spring growth.
- Durable: Steel construction with an overall height of 37-inches to reduce back strain, built strong, easy to use!
- Hand-Held: Designed for smaller lawns, this manual aerator will promote vigorous root growth.
- Results: Reduce soil compaction, use less water and let more air, water, and fertilizer get to the roots of your lawn!
A coring aerator saves you costs of water and fertilization by maximizing the amount of air, water, and nutrients that can get to your lawn roots. Preventing water runoff caused by flat, hardened soil and creating pockets for nutrients, new seeds, and water to reach deep in the soil. Coring aerators due to an excellent job of loosening up the soil and providing space for new root growth.
- REMOVES TWO ½” WIDE 3 ½ INCH GRASS PLUG LAWN CORES, reducing soil compaction and dethatching your lawn while letting air, water and fertilizer get down to the roots of your yard.
- REDUCES RUNOFF AND PROMOTES TURF GROWTH. Your lawn will look better with less water and fertilizer.
- HAND HELD LAWN AERATOR WITH FOOT BAR FOR EXTRA LEVERAGE. Perfect garden tool for easily aerating smaller yards. Promotes vigorous root growth, strengthening tolerance to drought and heat stress.
- BUILT TO LAST Durable steel construction, 37 inch tool height is designed to reduce back strain and make it easy to aerate your whole yard.
Step 3: Feed Lawn Growth with Fertilizer
Growing green lawns requires feeding your lawn specific nutrients for lush growth. Bagged fertilizer distributed with a seed spreader is an easy way to get food to your lawn. Providing Nitrogen and other essential nutrients, your lawn will absorb and process the fertilizer for greening up and new growth. It is important to note that manufacturers formulate fertilizers for different seasons and lawn care. Some do a great job of color-coding or printing very large on the bags the season or reason for use. Look for a Pre-Spring formula that will help your lawn recover from winter and fuel it for the coming Springtime growth.
- Green Up: Provides essential nutrients to help lawns green up after a hard cold winter.
- Pre-Spring: You can apply even if rain, snow or freezing conditions, won’t affect product performance.
- Crabgrass: Get ahead of the game and help prevent crabgrass conditions, don’t wait, protect before it invades!
Feeding your grass throughout the year is essential to a green lush lawn. After a cold, icy and harsh winter, your grass will need all the food it can get to regrow and green-up. Rain and snow can wash away nutrients from the soil, feeding with fertilization and aerating your lawn can help keep it healthy and green.
- Stops crabgrass before it invades and protects your lawn all season
- Feeds for a fast green-up after winter
- Rain, snow or freezing conditions after application won't affect product performance
- For best results, lawn should receive 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water from rainfall or watering within 2-3 days after application
- Not for use on dichondra or bentgrass lawns
Step 4: Sowing Seeds with a Seed Spreader
Spreading seed and fertilizer evenly are critical to a healthy lawn. Seeding and fertilizing in the Spring and Winter consistently and evenly will keep your lawn green and healthy. With a seed spreader, you guarantee a nice and even coating of your lawn. The last thing you want is patchy, uneven growth or yellowing on some spots but green on others. Of course, you can try manual methods if treating a small patch, but when treating your entire lawn, you will need to have a reliable seed spreader that can evenly distribute seed and fertilizer.
- Mult-Function: Large holding capacity, can be used with Grass Seed, Fertilizer, Salt and Ice Melt.
- Accurate: Includes dual rotators to provide consistent and accurate spreading up to 6 feet!
- Built Tuff: Rollover anything with never-flat tires comes with a smart-phone holder and ergonomic handle.
Generally, you don’t want to have to buy a seed spreader several times, so get a good one. Sometimes we don’t foresee moving homes, larger lawn areas or multi-use like salt and ice melt. A great seed spreader is an investment because it can be used for several lawn care jobs. Durability should be at the top of the list as well as the accuracy and spreading range. Make the investment and get a great seed spreader.
- Dual rotor technology provides unbeatable accuracy and a 6ft spread pattern for time savings. This is our most accurate spreader ever!
- Holds up to 20,000 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn product, including grass seed, fertilizer, salt and ice melt
- Never-flat tires to conquer any terrain
- Ergonomic handle with smartphone holder
- Minor assembly required - Remove agitator pins when spreading coarse rock salt
Step 5: Automate Lawn Watering
Automating lawn water has come a long way from the old dials and confusing push buttons. Automated lawn water can now be controlled easily from your smartphone. No more guessing when and how to water, new smart automatic sprinkler controllers work by pulling weather data down from the internet. It combines weather data with your local area soil type by using your zipcode then suggests times to water. So if you get rain or freezing temperatures, your sprinklers won’t come on. If you experience a heatwave, the automatic sprinklers adjust to provide a bit more water, perhaps earlier in the morning, before it gets too hot. We all live fast-paced lives and embracing technology, especially when it comes to conserving water is not a bad thing. Your lawn will get the consistent water it requires, not a drop more or less. You can feel good about that!
- Water Saver: EPA Water Sense approved and certified, save water by never overwatering your lawn again!
- Smart Watering: Automatic water adjustments based on slope, soil type, sun/shade, and live weather feeds.
- Easy Use: Plugin and setup with your iOS or Android smartphone, connects to your WiFi for weather data.
- Voice Control: Works with Amazon Alexa, watering your lawn is as easy as a voice command.
We all have work to do, stop guessing how much water to use or reading manuals trying to set up timers. New automated timers use far more data than we have time to look up on google. For automatic watering, nothing beats a new smart controller for your lawn care. Never overwater your lawn or forget to water it after scorching summer day again. Start conserving and water exactly what your lawn needs based on your location and weather patterns.
- ULTIMATE WIFI AND TIMER CONTROL - The B-hyve app is fully functional for Android, iOS or web devices and gives you control wherever you need it. Program your timer on the app, at the timer, or let the weather-based software create a program for you.
- SMART WATERING - Weather Sense technology provides watering based on site conditions such as slope, soil type, sun/shade, historical ET and live weather feeds. It automatically adjusts your controller to deliver the right amount of water to your plants.
- EASY TO INSTALL AND USE - Utilize the swing panel for easy access to the angled wiring terminals, which makes wiring simple and convenient and the plug-and-go line cord that can also be cut for hardwired applications.App Compatibility- iOS - iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch running iOS 8 and higher. Android - Android version 4.3 and higher
- CERTIFIED TO SAVE WATER AND MONEY - B-hyve is EPA WaterSense approved and certified, ensuring it will save you water and energy. This can also make your B-hyve timer eligible for local rebates, which can save up to 100% of the cost on your timer.
- DURABILITY AND SECURITY - The Orbit B-hyve Wi-Fi sprinkler timer comes in a weather-resistant case, allowing you to mount your timer indoors or outdoors without risk of weather damage and a locking cabinet that keeps your timer safe from harm.
Frequently Asked Questions…
As per the manufacturer, the Orbit B-Hyve uses weather data from NOAA.
Yes, you can connect via your web browser. Visit https://bhyve.orbitonline.com for more info.
Scotts recommends at least 6 weeks and 3 mowings before spreading new seeds.
No, applying Scotts fertilizer during times of rain, snow or freezing does not affect product performance.
Technically, yes it can, depending on the salt granule size as salt can come in much larger rock sizes compared to fertilizer pellets.
Yes, you can find replacement wheels online or through the Scotts website.
Spike versus core aerating is often debated, but results show that core aerator works best.
It is recommended to aerate your lawn between 6 to 12 inches, essentially a footstep length. Precision here is not the focus, more so the attention should be on overall coverage.
Rule of thumb is to dethatch cool-season grasses in the fall and warm-season grass types in the early spring.
A thatch rake allows for air, sunshine, water, and fertilizers to reach the soil for a healthier lawn. Otherwise, dead grass clippings build up and prevent proper nutrition reaching your lawn roots.